~S-19 - Detachment Pamphlet*
The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you need Al-Anon:
1. Do you worry about how much someone drinks?
2. Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking?
3. Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else’s drinking?
4. Do you feel that if the drinker cared about you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
5. Do you blame the drinker’s behavior on his or her companions?
6. Are plans frequently upset or canceled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
7. Do you make threats, such as, “If you don’t stop drinking, I’ll leave you”?
8. Do you secretly try to smell the drinker’s breath?
9. Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
10. Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker’s behavior?
11. Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
12. Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
13. Do you search for hidden alcohol?
14. Do you ever ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
15. Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
16. Do you feel like a failure because you can’t control the drinking?
17. Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
18. Do you ever threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
19. Do you feel angry, confused, or depressed most of the time?
20. Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
If you have answered “Yes” to any of these questions, Al-Anon may be able to help.
Consider attending an Al-Anon meeting where you can get more information and speak with a member of the program. It is suggested that you try at least 6 different meetings before you decide if Al-Anon is for you or not, as each meeting has its own personality. Our meetings are run on the principles of Anonymity and Confidentiality.
There are no dues or fees to attend a meeting.
You may also call Houston Intergroup (713-683-7227), which we try to answer 24/7, or send us an email at email@example.com.
Al-Anon Family Group Service
9800 Northwest Freeway | Suite 201 | Houston, TX 77092
firstname.lastname@example.org | (713) 683-7227
Copyright © 2022 Al-Anon Family Group Service Inc - All Rights Reserved.
*Reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc., Virginia Beach, VA.